- 3 to 4 Eggplant (rather long)
- 500 g (1lb) Extra-lean ground beef
- Two 540 ml cans Diced tomatoes
- 10 ml (2 tsp) Pesto
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Corn starch
- 375 ml (1 ½ cups) 1% milk
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Crushed garlic
- 200 g (12 sheets) Oven-ready lasagna
- 60g Grated light mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Total lipids:8 gr
Total carbohydrates:46 gr
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Thinly slice the eggplant lengthwise (making at least 9 slices)
3. Place the sliced eggplant on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef.
5. Mix together the browned beef, the tomatoes, and the pesto.
6. In a small pot, heat the milk, cornstarch, and garlic over low heat until thickened, while stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
7. In a baking dish, layer two sheets of lasagna, one third of the eggplant slices, one third of the beef and tomato mixture, and one third of the white sauce. Repeat twice.
8. Sprinkle evenly with the grated cheese and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.