The human body can adapt to fitness training in a surprising way. However, during summer time, that mission becomes more and more difficult especially during a heat wave. Our body is designed to maintain our internal temperature regardless of what we are doing, and the weather!
Age, excess weight, bad health or physical condition are all factors making people more subject to suffer from heat when it is really hot outside. Working out in an air-conditioned gym is to be seriously considered during a heat wave. However, it is possible to safely workout outdoors, if you make sure to comply with some simple guidelines.
Top 6 guidelines for a safe workout during a heat wave:
- Favor working out in the morning or in the evening to limit your efforts during intense heat periods.
- Drink water, before, during, and after your workout.
- Wear lightweight, loose-fitting clothes to allow for evaporation of sweat.
- Protect yourself from the sun; wear sunglasses, a cap and sunscreen lotion designed for sportsmen.
- Lower the intensity of your workout. It is perfectly normal not to reach the same performance levels to which you are used to.
- Eat before your sports activity. Having the necessary energy to finish your activity, you will feel good while doing it. Allow three to four hours for digestion before you start your activity if you had a complete meal, and 30 minutes to two hours if you had a snack, depending on the type of snack. Consult a professional to help you make the right choices.
In case of intense heat, rain or strong winds, your fitness centre always offers the best possible environment for you to enjoy your workout in!
Enjoy your workout!